07522 477 207 | info@localelectricianlondon.com

Which Electrical Certificate Do you Need?

Electrical testing is often a sought after service due to the number of electrical devices and appliances in residential and commercial buildings. Regular and proper electrical testing and portable appliance testing (PAT Testing) is important for safety procedures and insurance purposes.

The electrical testing process
This is the process of inspecting electrical equipment and devices to make sure they work safely in line with their guidelines. Visual inspections and operational inspections are carried out to make sure there are no symptoms of problems and degradation. Any appliance which needs electricity to run can be tested, from computers, kettles, toasters, microwaves, electric cookers to lamps, extension leads and lights – any device, equipment or appliance in any room of your home or building you can think of can likely be tested.

There are four main types of certificates and reports you should know of:
1. Portable Appliance Testing Certificate
This involves a qualified electrician technician – usually NICEIC or ECA registered, will check that appliances within your property are completely safe and adhere to industry standard regulations. Information such as serial numbers, brand and model, voltage, fuse and insulation resistance ratings should be expected. After the test, the technician should complete a PAT form and offer the results and electrical test certificate to you.

2. Electrical Installation Condition Report
This was formerly known as a Periodic Inspection Report and involves your electrical technician checking an existing installation against IET Wiring Regulations and national safety standards. Poor installations should quickly be spotted from signs of wear and tea and temperamental performance. This type of report is extremeley important to highlight health and safety risks.

3. Emergency Lighting Completion Certificate
After an emergency lighting installation, change or addition to a current emergency lighting system, this certificate type is needed.
Factors such as compliance to design and Code of Practice will be covered in this certificate as well as an assessment towards the levels of construction and system deviation.
4. Fire Alarm System Inspection Service Reports
Often conducted quarterly or annually, this certificate checks the effectiveness of your fire alarm systems to make sure there are no vulnerabilities which could lead to significant harm and danger. The functionality of alerting any residents or occupants must be working to the highest of standards for effective warning in the event of a fire. A full list of performance observations will be noted as well as recommendations and potential danger and liability.

Make sure the business or contractor you hire are fully qualified and are thorough in their processes of carrying out the testing and reports. When it comes to electrical testing certificates, experience is also important as well as the use of the latest testing equipment. You are at full rights to make sure the technician you use fulfils all of the aforementioned testing elements and criteria.


About 1ondyadmin

No Comments

Leave a Comment